View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
How would you build the dock and get it into position?

My research shows a general purpose 12"x12" pre-fabricated truss would weigh about 160lbs for 30' length. You'd need two of those, so over 300 lbs (without connectors, legs, etc). How would you get it into position? Rent a crane?

I'm assuming you'd be building this on shore and bringing it over to the island via the crane's barge? I don't think you'd want to be welding this together in/over the water (assuming you brought out 10' sections to connect together).

Sounds like a very interesting project.

BTW - we had the exact same thing happen to us the year after we bought our place. Had Watermark build and install a 20' aluminum crankup.
That is a good question !

My thought (and this is not by any means completely thought out!) was to build it in place using 8 foot sections. The sections bolt together. They are amazingly strong, but trusses usually are.

Anyway, back to the construction - build it out in sections; attach two 8 foot sections to the pivot point; put the cross pieces in place; put the uprights in place. I would hold it up with a jack arrangement - used this sort of thing many times in the past. The water is not overly deep (about neck high at the end of the dock).

Again, not completely planned out, but maybe a usable general idea... Needs a whole lot more thought.

It just seems to me that one can build an aluminum dock from parts such as these, just as well as one can build a wooden frame dock. Maybe not, but certainly worth a good, long look.

The thing should be lighter than a wood frame dock of the same length (I would think anyway), so should be easier to crank up for the winter.

If this is folly, please point it out to me.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote