View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #46
VtSteve

New boat, new owner, bad ending. I would no more think of buying a performance boat and taking it out and run it through its paces without training than I would hop on a 38' sailboat without some serious refresher course. Maybe that's just me. Kind of like the brand new Cobalt bowrider. Same circumstances, sank to the bottom. I think last year two boats collided, nearly head on. They both turned to port at the last moment. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

The trouble with one-sided arguments that are agenda-driven, is that they accomplish nothing. There are people that shouldn't be out in any boat, much less a large performance boat. Boneheads seem to be in all kinds of boats, and all brands.

APS, study this. We have rougher water, no speed limits, and I can't remember when a boat flipped here, or sunk. We do have our share of canoes and kayaks that need rescue, as well as fishermen in small boats that need rescue. But if you look at the overall safety record in the two states as a whole, it's remarkably good. Because you're always focused on those people and boats you don't like, nothing you post has much to do with safety. In your small sailboats, your odds of being inconvenienced or worse by a large sailboat are far higher than by a powerboat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: