View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
MikeF-NH

I currently run otter boats and love them. I max out at two lines per board but am sure I could just as easily run 3 per board if I wanted to go crazy. Like Dan said, run deep lines closest to boat but (wouldn't you know it)....the outside lines go first so you either have to reel in the other two lines and redeploy all 3 or just slide them down the line and now your shallowest line (that just released) is closest to the boat).

In general, salmon rise to the top and don't get caught in the inner lines but lakers dive deep and across your spread everytime leaving you with a mess. fortunately, lakers hit my DRs more than my planer rods. When I do get a big laker hooked, I take in all lead core on that side of the boat (which is the other reason I don't go over 2 lines per board).

If you want to start off cheaply, get the offshore inline boards at around $30 each. They only run one line per board and you read them like a bobber when a fish hits then have to hand release the board when it reaches your rod. I had fantastic success with these when I started and think I got better action from them than the larger boards.

If you buy the offshore planerboard releases...remember to adjust them to the light setting. I would guess it would cost you around $500 total between boards, reels, mast and releases if you go with full sized boards. Watch Craigslist and fishing website for deals.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote