View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #55
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
These threads always floor me....

Yes there is no doubt that wakeboard boats producing larger waves speeds up shoreline erosion... But is that the problem to go after?

People Altering the shoreline in my mind is the bigger problem, taking away the natural retaining structure that help re-enforce the shoreline... This why states like Maine have very strict rules on altering the shoreline which includes cutting down trees etc.

Unfortunately for Lake Winnipesaukee that damage has already been done. And unless the state makes all shore front owners plant a buffer of trees it isn't going to be corrected.

So what to do now?
-- Yes education on fertilizers which damage the lake.
-- Yes bring some of the larger lakefront home dirt roads under public road control, so that they can get improved drainage. ( note this may require purcahsing property as well, to make rain water storage area's)
-- Yes work on educating lake front home owners on planting a buffer down to the water's edge. (who knows may bring in some property tax incentives to do so)

The Damage is done.... to much development, and not enough control.... to think that targeting wakeboard boats, or crusiers etc. is the solution is just wrong... Let people enjoy the lake, the way they want.

Fix the problem by educating people...not with rules and regulations.

My property hasn't lost shoreline... in 30 years, I have wakeboarders etc all the time in front of my place... 3 neighbors enjoy this activity... How is this people may wonder... Well I let vegetation grow... I have several tree still along the shoreline... I haven't tried to alter the natural rocky transition from land to lake... etc. etc. etc. I educated myself... Yep I don't have a nice beach... but I would rather not... steps from my dock work just as well... I trim the tree branches up,so they don't effect my view and the trees can grow tall and strong....

Stop point fingers at classes of people and blaming them for the problem.... Start educating people, and the problem will start to solve itself.
We disagree on wakeboarders, but agree on most other things in your post.

Like you, I have lost very little shoreline myself, largely because my shoreline is rock and then a heavy buffer of vegetation. I wish education could solve the problem. But when we talk about shoreline, it doesn't seem realistic to get thousands of people with more developed shorelines to build environmentally sound structures where they have beach or clearcut areas today. So even with great education, wakeboards will continue to drive up phosphorous in the lake through erosion.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote