View Single Post
Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #26
ApS

Red face Steep Curve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I don't think so, but whatever. I remember in my youthful days walking out onto ice I knew was only about 1.5 inches thick. I, along with several friends got about 15 feet from shore when I heard the first crack under me. I scrambled for shore but the ice gave out in about 4 feet of water. My other friends made it but I ended up wading out of chest deep water. It was about 15 degrees that day and we had a 2 mile walk out of the woods. Plus another 3 mile walk home. I made it out of the woods before I had to call mom for a pickup because my pants had frozen solid and I was getting too cold. Bone head move, we've all made them.
My respect for thin ice was developed while playing hockey as a teenager in Rhode Island. This ice was about 1" thick, and I'd "fallen through" a dozen times.

Fortunately, the ice covered a flat pasture, and the earth was only another inch below the playing surface.

Later, on Lake Winnipesaukee, I discovered you can have icy water fill your shoes while still 150 feet from shore and ice-eaters!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote