View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
TheProfessor

Interesting point that few of us actually check upon purchase.

We just assume that everything has someone to repair such.

I was at Home Depot a decade or so ago. The appliance department.
I had to wait as appliance person was on the telephone with some at regional or headquarters.
Some person over in New Hampton or that area could have been Hill, NH. Well, they had just purchased a set - washer and dryer. Hotpoint or GE at Home Depot. And there was a problem. This was about warranty repair work. All still under warranty.
The conversation seemed to go on for over 10 minutes as I waited.
Then I asked what that was all about as I heard some of it.
Apparently, at that time, there was no person/repair company that would go out to this town that was set up or authorized by GE.
The solution (at that time) was for Home Depot to go out and replace both units.
Seems odd. But that is what the Home Depot person told me.

Another appliance type story.
Friend purchased a new home by one of the lakes largest well known builders.
This boiler was one of the new high tech boilers.
At 2nd winter the boiler in basement stopped in middle of winter.
The owner called the builder and got name of installer. Called installer. Installer came and fixed it.
Two weeks later, the boiler quit again. No heat in middle of winter.
So the owner buys another unit same make and brand from installer and has installer fix the first one and install the 2nd one and set up so that if one fails the other will turn on.
Then a few weeks later both quit. No heat.
Called installer again. But this time the installer did not return calls.
So the propane company was called. They couldn't fix it but did put in temporary heat.
The owner then called the manufacturer - located in Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
They stated that he had to call the installer as that installer is the only authorized repair person. So the owner advises that installer does not return calls. The owner then asks if he can personally take both boilers down to manufacturer in Fairhaven, Massachusetts and get properly fixed. No. The factory is not set up for any repairs. Can't do that.
At this point, the owner asks the propane provider to install a common brand that they are authorized to repair - a Weil Mclain.
And all heat worked properly after that.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote