Thread: Motorcycle Week
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
What a great week weather wise, especially compared to the past few years. We were up last weekend and will be back either tonight or tomorrow.
It's always sad to hear about the motorcycle accidents that happen all around the state during motorcycle week. I have to say though, I wish the bikers didn't insist on claiming the center line of the road as so many do. Seems like doing so throws caution to the wind as cars going in the opposite direction are forced to move further in their own lane to maintain some margin of safety with the oncoming traffic. Though they may have the right to ride as close to the center line as they can, it just doesn't make sense to me to insist on being dead right.
Be careful out there this weekend. Ride safe. Enjoy.
To many non riders the "close to the center line" riding looks dangerous when in fact the bike is usually in a track where the left wheels of a car would travel. The issue is brought up by non-riders here every year. The following is from a post I made in 2009.

Quote:
I have taken both a basic riding class (long ago) and in recent years an experienced riders course. As a defensive measure, a single bike should ride on the left side of the travel lane on a two way undivided highway (about where a car left wheel rides). Riding on the right side invites car drivers to try to pass you in the left side of your lane. So riding on the left side “claims” your space in the lane. The middle of the travel lane is where the oil, pavement cracks, etc exist.

While many bikers do in fact crowd the center line, most are riding where a car left wheel would travel. And, I’ll add, most of us are responsible riders.
I also hope that all ride safe and enjoy the area. We have been out twice this week and as always rode safe.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post: