View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
Can anyone recommend a local place that would refinish and lacquer brass cabinet knobs? I love my cabinet knobs, but after 18 years they are very tarnished.

I have been online looking for replacement knobs and started to wonder if it would be a lot less expensive to have them refinished.

Has anyone ever done this themselves? If so, any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
"Pot-metal" is most likely Zinc, sold as Zamack (Also seen as Zamac or Zamak).

Pot-metal knobs don't tarnish readily: if yours are "real brass", the way to find out is to remove one, and press the unseen side against a grinding wheel. Online, a new grinder will set you back $50 or less.

(Yes, you could use a rock instead).

A "brassy" color indicates real brass. A "silvery" color showing through the brass color would be everything else—and not worth messing with—go ahead and buy new knobs.

Real brass actually brightens up really well with a few minutes on a fine wire wheel. (The below example is a medium wire wheel, which will work a little faster).

Individual wires will fly off, so wear eye protection—and a shirt!

If you require a higher luster, then go to a polishing wheel, and use the white polishing compound. (A huge stick of the stuff will cost only $3—the polishing wheel itself may cost a little more).

Pot-metal knobs also can be cleaned with a wire wheel, but will likely need resurfacing or repainting.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote