View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #338
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

What I really don't understand here is why is the store owner, NOT Epic, is trying to secure an Airport Site Certificate when this is really not necessary based on what Epic is claiming will be happening in 19 Mile Bay? Why go through this hassle when even Epic has stated and I believe it is accurate he can land wherever he wants. I believe there is more to this and the intent of the store owner is being understated where this not just having Epic running a sight seeing tour or two. Otherwise there would be no reason to go through this process.

Why is Epic doing the dirty work on this - he already has mirror lake to operate off of, 19 mile is a hassle as he would have to take off and land more than is really necessary versus running this out of his place UNLESS the issue here is that he either got caught (neighbor complaints) or knows zoning restrictions would prohibit running a business out of a residential area.

Interestingly enough this certificate as it exists today means nothing other than based on the information submitted meets DOT requirements for a runway and nothing more. It is subject to scrutiny and review and must meet all local ordinances, and local, state and federal law. This is more than a runway and as such the applicant must demonstrate this prior to use. This is why the area developed for the "airport" including specifically the areas to board\unboard the planes is subject to inspection by the BOA. This is why modifications to the town pier is so critical to this plan as the only other option the store owner has is to extend the gas dock which is already a known no go as DES will not allow it.

At face value what I see here is a bait and switch Epic could right now occasionally fly in and out of 19 mile and be fine doing so in fact has. The piers can be worked around as needed for this use. However the situation changes if the desire is to do much more than just that and clearly that is the intention otherwise filing this makes no sense at all and far to elaborate. Furthermore if this was Epic's show he would file it not the store owner yet Epic is the mouthpiece for this the store owner is silent. Odd isn't it?

One final thought, this store owner already has an established reputation of doing what she wants. That is a troubling thought considering the toxic relationship that she has already established with the association she belongs to, yet has openly cried ignorance or discrimination when openly defying the obligations she is bound to with the Pier19 slip owners. Based on that history the town should be very careful in doing anything to enable this person to further exploit any resource that is town property.

Frankly I think many are distracted by Epic and his antics - dig deeper and look beyond that nonsense as it is meaningless. Watch closely what the store owner is doing - that is where everyone needs to remain vigilant. Hopefully the selectmen shoot this proposal down as it would for now nullify any possibility that airport site could be approved for use. The bad part is the store owner has 10 years on that to try to get sufficient logistics in place to satisfy the BOA and thus end up with an approval to operate so even if round one is lost, it won't be the last time this comes up. IF that approval happens it is anyone's guess what that area will turn into.

Something really stinks here.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: