View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
ApS

Default Red, Common, and Hooded Mergansers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-to-NH View Post
Hi folks Weirdest pair of diving-duck type of bird this year - can't leave my dock alone. They're here every day. Huge difference in appearance of the male vs female. Apparently they are a mating pair of Red Breasted Mergansers see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-breasted_merganser
Easily confused with the Common Merganser; here, the Common Merganser male shows a very crisp appearance, while the females of both species have a "bad hair day" appearance.

Common Mergansers have huge families, with chicks that can get "blended" with other Merganser moms. It doesn't help that Merganser moms lay eggs in the nests of their neighbor Mergansers. The males have long been gone to bachelor quarters—elsewhere.

Sailors and aviators would recognize that Mergansers have "high-aspect-ratio" wings, which helps to account for their 100-MPH speeds—the fastest among ducks, and just edging-out Bald Eagles in top speed. They typically fly low to the water. Like the landings of Loons, photographs of Mergansers in top speed flight are a good "coup" for the photographer.

I watched as a pair of Hooded Mergansers, normally wary, pulled crayfish—one after the other—from the edge of my wooded shoreline. They are the earliest of migrant ducks, being content among narrow openings in Lake Winnipesaukee's ice that allow them a short run to get airborne.