Thread: Unbelievable
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
NH_boater

Crazy incidents this year. Amazing ignorance and ambivalence, especially at the sandbars.

1. Record number of one-anchor-Andy's, usually swinging wildly in the middle of the bar. I love the ones who walk/swim away while their boats swing around.
2. Three times I had other boats drop anchor right across my anchor line without a care. I had one boat drop anchor across my 20' anchor chain and then pull it tight until it sets. Only problem was they were setting on my chain rode not the bar bottom. Again, no checking or fixing, just hook into someone else's rode and begin their day. This happen to be a very windy day and I was worried that they would dislodge my main tackle and leave me to drift into other leeward boats.
3. I have one small fishing boat drop anchor right across my main tackle, completely locking me in, and then stroll away leaving their boat and lines blocking my exit as they wandered around the bar. I called out to them when they dropped in, as I was preparing to leave but they just kept walking away. I am choosing to assume that they did not hear me.
4. One cool customer drops his too small anchor in the muck off the bar, virtually strain down with no scope to speak of and strong winds. Then they all jumped off to swim around. The wind quickly pulled their one bad anchor set and the boat started to drift. Luckily they noticed just as the boat was drifting and they quickly swam to it to catch their boat adrift.
5. Also loved the pontooner who flies in where there was little space, right behind our swim platform and drops his two anchors straight down. Then proceeded to drift into another boat, four times before they accepted help to set them properly.
6. When the wind is blowing laterally and all the boats anchor in bow windward, it is amazing when other come in and anchor beam windward crossing multiple anchor lines in the process. It makes it very difficult for those departing. Didn't they notice that everyone else is pointed in one direction?
7. It also amazes me the lack of consideration when negotiating around other anchor lines. Boats powering into, and also drifting into other lines causes tension for the otherwise fun-loving boaters.
8. It also is funny when folks arrive late on a hot day when the bar is 'full', only to squeeze in to get a good spot right in the middle. Thank good Marine Patrol has not been enforcing the 150' from shore and 25' to other boats or disagreements would likely increase (West Alton). If you want a great spot, get there early or respect those that did.

I am quick to help folks out especially if they are obviously new but this has been borderline ridiculous. This is the worst year in the last decade, in my opinion for newbies, the ignorant and the ambivalent. I am sure the considerate boaters to clueless boaters is 5:1, 10:1 or more, but the clueless can really make an entrance and unsettle others very quickly.

I am having fun and will continue to do so, despite the actions of others. I just have to shake my head sometimes. Off the box.