View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #74
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Just so no one is confused I need to correct a few statements made here.

As with most handheld units, virtually all dash mounted cruiser radar units have the same "instant on" capability. This "instant on" cpability has been available for years and is used whether the officer is stationary or in moving radar mode (operating the radar while travelling).

Additionally all radar jamming devices that emit RF are regulated and prohibited by FCC regualtions. How? In order to emit the necessary RF energy to jam a police radar, the jammer would need to have what is known as FCC type acceptance. To operate without this acceptance is a federal offense. To date no such device has ever been submitted or approved for Type Acceptance, for obvious reasons. That said it is virtually impossible for a local officer to enforce federal FCC regulations. However, local communities or States are allowed to pass supplemental regulations that prohibit operation or possession of such devices, and that is why a number of State's have those regulations which are easily enforcable by local, county or state officials.

In addition everyone needs to remember that there are two very distinct types of handheld devices. The oldest is the RF emitting type that has been available for several decades. The newer devices are LIDAR units, commonly called "laser" units. These do not emit RF energy, but for a layman explanation use light energy. There are a number of vendors that claim they manufacture a "light based" jammer for LIDAR units. Since these jammers are mostly passive devices or emit no RF energy they are not regulated by the FCC. However, local and state authorities could prohibit these devices by local ordinance if they so desire.

As a State of NH certified traffic radar operator I had many years experience with all of these devices, and have repeatedly came across much of these misunderstandings, especially in Court.

Hope this helps clarify some of the misunderstandings in the post quoted.

Skip
Laser jamming devices are quite legal (except in California and Minnesota) as they emit light which is not regulated. I have one and they work quite well!! Combine this with a top of the line radar detector and I have never received a speeding ticket for accidentally or unknowingly exceeding the maximum speed which is quite easy to do when you are on the road daily.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: