View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #34
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Required equipment?

I do not see where a speedometer is required in a car, nor do I see it as required in a boat.

If it was required in a car, I would expect that it would be part of our vehicle safety inspection. While not required in a car, I would not really want to stand before a judge and say my speedometer cable (I have a really old car) broke three months ago, so I really didn't know I was doing 70 in a 55 (my really old car is a big old beast that rides like a dream). I think that once the Judge stops laughing at me(like this ), I would be reaching for my checkbook to pay the fine. Judge would then thank me for making his day.

I think that if any of us get a speeding ticket on the lake, and our defense is that we have no means of telling our speed, the Judge may again thank us for making his day (that being right after letting us know just what the fine would be).

Bottom line is we have a speed limit, like it or not, and some of us will find ourselves in a position of being caught exceeding the limit (just as we may on our roadways), and when we do, we may very well have to pony up the bucks. We may be able to challenge "radar" qualifications, but the lack of a speedometer would not be a defense, at least in my humble opinion.

Regardless, go out and enjoy the lake, and if you see the Upthesaukee as you fly by me, please do give me a wave...I do wave back! Enjoy your summer.