View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I was reading an article posted in 'Heloise' the other day. A LEO from Texas says to never use the GPS as a spedometer as it is inaccurate????

He claims to be pulling people over who says: 'Officer, My GPS says I am going the speed limit!' They were traveling over the speed limit. He hinted on Heloise that people should not use their GPS as a speedometer as they are inaccurate.

As stated in this thread I find the boat's speedometer readings off from my GPS reading. I am planning on using GPS to keep within the speed limit on the lake. I have observed my GPS as 'dead on' with the speedometer readings in my truck. I also heard that stored data in GPS is being used as evidence in court cases.

Should I be confused?????
When going in a straight line your GPS is extremely accurate. The problem becomes if you take readings while taking turns. Since your GPS only works on forward momentum, accuracy diminishes while turning. The sharper the turn the less accurate it becomes. I would trust my GPS whlile going straight way more than any speedometer.

As far as GPS being used as evidence in court cases, I have not heard of this, but who knows, in this day and age of "big brother" looking at everything we do I wouldn't doubt it. I have heard of On Star being used in court cases however.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: