View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Stopped burning wood this year

The first woodstove in our house was Fisher Mama Bear cast iron stove, which served admirably from the mid 80's to the early 2000's. We then switched over to a Hearthstone Mansfield soapstone. Plusses on the change was a more even warmth, no need to polish the enameled cast iron portion, no damper in the stove pipe, and a glass door to enjoy the flames.
Disadvantages required a reducer for the 8 inch triple wall chimney (6 inch stove pipe), not easily cleaned by me (2 brushes needed 6 in & 8 in)(unscrewing slip sleeve in stove pipe and sliding up to vacuum out ash from the top of the stove) (Enter The Chimney Sweep- Dan R), slower to heat the room from a new start after room cooled down, keeping glass clean, replacing door gaskets every year or two.
We burned 5-6 cords of wood annually. Wood was delivered cut and split. I would supplement with fall downs I cut and split. Wood delivered late spring, early summer, stacking in September.
We decided to bite the bullet this year and heat with oil. Cost is very similar. Advantage: house stays far cleaner, no ash residue in LR from emptying the stove, no almost daily vacuuming of the trail of wood dust etc, , and no daily exercise of moving the wood from the wood pile to the mud room. Disadvantage: house is poorly insulated (a ton of sliding glass windows) and we keep the thermostat set at a lower temp. Love my sweatshirts.

Will we go back to burning wood? Probably not full time, but maybe a cord or two., unless oil prices skyrocket.

Dave