View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #61
Argie's Wife

KTO - my point is about the choices we make and the "bad habits" we may have. You may choose to focus on whatever aspects of my post as you wish but what someone considers a vice another person may consider a luxury, hobby, pastime - whathaveyou. What was allowed 20, 30, or even 40 years ago in public is now not allowed - and even in public *outside*... It's an interesting progression of things...

On a side note...

It wasn't that long ago that physicians suggested that people take up smoking to help them to deal with stress - my mother-in-law was told to start smoking shortly after the birth of her first baby. She is from Greece and over there (even back then) it was considered bad for a woman to be seen smoking. In other words, she didn't start smoking because of peer pressure or to "look cool" - the society she is from looks down their noses at women who smoke. However, she averages about a pack a day now and is in her late 60's.

Ironic isn't it? Fast forward 50 years later and the advice your doctor was giving you that you followed so long ago now makes you a "social outlaw". Go figure.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote