View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can understand not allowing people to smoke at youth athletic fields. That makes sense. But, to ban smoking at the beach makes no sense at all, at least to me.

This one statement confuses me. Not allow it at the athletic fields but ok for the beach? Do peoples lungs react differently at these two places? Do our bodies filter out better at the beach than at the athletic field?
Just so others don't get confused as I did initially the statement above that starts out "I can understand... is Resident 2b's. The second paragraph that starts off with " This one Statement confuses me..is from GTO.

Housekeeping note GTO, use the quote function, otherwise folks will think you said both of these statements.

Now to the statement that confuses GTO. The National Association that supports children's athletic development, and that primarily includes little league softball and baseball has been advocating a ban on "outdoor" smoking in little league ball fields nationwide. This is primarily aimed at trying to reduce/prevent child/teen smoking. There are no accredited studies that show health related disease reduction from secondhand smoke prevention, but that is not the intention of the advocated ban. Having said that, their intentions are good. Showing good health habits practiced in as many environments as possible will hopefully deter children from taking up this deadly habit. However, a city adopting a ban on smoking in a non-children centric (not exclusively children) environment such as a boardwalk or beach is not necessarily a justified response to this issue. I believe SIKSUKER"S WMUR quote stated, "The city Parks and Recreation Department recommended the ban at the suggestion of the Laconia Little League.
".
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote