View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm new to propane gas user, with new home purchase this past June,
coming from oil heat, and concerned about my propane usage ?

I have a 2200 SF house, which is 14 yrs old, very well insulated, Marvin windows, gas furnace with separate hot water heater.

We keep the thermostats at 68 degrees in the main living area durning the day, then lower to 65 degrees at night. The upstairs bedrooms are kept at a constant 65 degrees.

I had 356 gal delivered on 12/6 to fill the tank (500 gal in ground, they only fill tank to 80-85%) and another 193 gal delivered today (12/27), which means I've burned about 10 gal per day ! The gas delivery driver did note that the gas regulator was covered with frost/ice, and the same with the gas hose line to the house ( Is this normal ?)

10 gal propane usage per day seems rather excessive !
Furnace was turned up in Sept., and assuming all was good?

Does 10 gal per day seem like a normal usage ?
We don't keep the house really warm, but comfortable, it's not like we're sitting around in our underwear, and wife is compiling she's always cold.

Thanks,
Bigdog
It's common to see frost on an active regulator when it gets very cold and can creep along the line. Undersized lines could also cause this. One thing I used to see all the time was those that installed additional equipment on a system without increasing either the line size or converting the system to a 2# system. It's possible the lines are not large enough to supply the required btu's needed to heat your home resulting in a system that seldom shuts off. Kind of like boiling water with the burner on low... doesn't boil but it will use a lot of fuel trying.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote