View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
mswlogo

Default Can't decide on property, we want our cake and eat it too

We sold a nice property on NewFound lake recently, half regret it now. It's really hard separating the property itself from the memories attached to it. But we want something on the lakes for sure.

Newfound property was on a southwest corner of a bay so the house faced east (very little sun), but the beach faced north or northwest a little. So the beach got sunsets from for about 2 months. The season always felt so short. The beach got the wind and the house was protected.

We are looking all over all the lakes. Including the islands.

There are some properties on Winni on "the broads". Gorgeous clear water, break walls, sunsets year round. But how often is it temping to swim in? We know from newfound that if the prevailing wind (from northwest) was above 5 mph, it was not a swim day (unless 95 F out), until evening anyway. But wind in any other direction it was pretty calm. Most evenings it calmed down. It looks like calm days on the broads would be more rare (wider range of wind direction that generates chop) and not sure how "calm" an evening typically is on the broads.

We are also not sure about a house in the sun all day. Some are nestled in the trees some aren't. We've had that exposure before. Wood siding checks like crazy. Needs paint every 5 years etc. Our spot on NewFound was great that way that the house was not so exposed but the beach was (but a short season). There is nothing on Newfound available and if it does, it's gonna be a bidding war and probably go above $1.5m if it's private and has sunsets.

There are a few spots that are the best of both available on Winni, like our place on newfound. House protected but sun on other parts of the property when you want it. Evening Sun probably until mid September. Problem is, it's on an island. We are worried about overpaying and being hard to get rid off if the island life is not for us. We read the island threads. Lot of very happy people. But the happiness seems more to do with the lake life than the island life specifically. We know lake property is great almost where ever you are . Our stuff is in a pod. We'd like to salvage the summer, if possible. But that's not an absolute requirement.

Next summer could be worse in terms of availability of a lot better depending on what happens with COVID.

The calm "deep" coves on Winni don't look tempting to swim in. Dark bottom and/or weedy cloudy water. We almost bought a nice house on NewFound that was on a marshy area. But we couldn't deal with the dark bottom and cloudy water after having crystal clear water.

We are looking around $1 - $1.5m. But good places are getting scooped up fast.
If it's on the high end of that there are properties that have a cottage or in law apt that can help offset cost.

We are trying not to rush due to lack of availability but we are struggling. COVID is really skewing things this season. Properties that sat 2 years now have 5 offers on them.

I think what we really want would cost $3m. So we have to compromise somewhere. Our property on NewFound was on the new side as well. New can be a curse too, because you want to keep it nice.

Deal with the broads? We'll get used to it and the sunsets, long days, and long season make up for it. Easy resale if for some reason we need to sell. Yes, I know we should rent first. But that could take years to learn what's best. We know a fair bit about the lakes. But surely not everything.

Deal with an island? Gotta buy a big boat. Had a 20ft Tige on NewFound for 20 years. But I think Winni needs at least a 23ft on an island. Also worried about parking at a rented (seasonal) slip. We have researched that (might have to park aways on busy weekends but there is enough parking). island still even with big boat, storage and slip would be significantly cheaper than NewFound was. Newfound taxes were very high ($16k), part of the reason we sold. That tax seems cheap to me now. island might work because I can work remote a lot (100% right now due to COVID).

Also Northeast side of Winni is cheap on taxes (Moultanboro and Tuftonboro). But there seems very little for grocery stores and restaurants (long ride by car or boat). Much more on the west side (that we frequented from NewFound and familiar with). Wolfborough is nice but super expensive. Taxes are very high on west side (Meridith and Gilford). Alton area is a reasonable balance (close to stuff, not far to drive from MA, not bad taxes), but would probably end up on the broads (maybe).

Sorry for the rambling. I know only we can decide but I'd be curious if folks had addition thoughts.

Also one note. I sold my Tige boat last year. I was getting little nervous of water skiing at 61 and getting hurt with bones that don't heal so quick. We had a nice beach so we didn't need to head out to a sand bar or anything. We have a Hobie Tandem island boat that we loved and just had that. But I missed being able to motor out now and then, we were considering another smaller motor boat (maybe even an EV one ). Tige was too much boat for the amount we used it. Loved that boat though, horrible on any chop though. Also it's mostly my wife and I so we often didn't have a spotter. We've tried to move towards being more green. Have solar in mass and two EV's. Our net energy bill is -$2000.00/year (i.e. we make money) That all goes out the window if we go with an island. Big boat and swap one EV for probably a Midsize SUV (which we had before). It's not a huge deal but it makes us feel a little guilty.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote