Thread: Solar?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
If my mind was made up on solar, why would I come here to ask the questions? Not for nothing, based on the questions I asked you really didn't provide too much value nor answer any of the questions I had about solar. You have a great opinion and maybe what you've recommended works for you but I think you're failing to analyze all of the facts. For example, getting rid of baseboard and spending $12K+ on mini splits doesn't mitigate my electric bill, just enhances my heating and cooling. I'd still likely be incurring over $100/month in electric as there are other factors like a hot tub I account for. I can pay roughly the same or even less for solar and run my heating, A/C, and hot tub all at no additional electric cost. Maybe I'm missing something here, or maybe I'll just continue "burning money" with my baseboard...
Hi Shreddy--you're right. Mini splits and solar work great together--it's not an either/or thing. I have both. With respect to waiting for more data on electric usage, I think you should still call the installers now and ask them to do the math for you with the bills you have. A couple of reasons for this. First, almost no roof is big enough for a home to get 100% of its electric from solar, so the chances of you buying too many panels and being unable to use all the juice are really low. Second, the credits are going to fall from 26% to 22% on December 31, so you'll get an extra 4% back if you do it this year.

With respect to the comment on some home improvement guys using fuzzy math--I'm not surprised to hear that some do that. My solar panels have actually generated more savings than originally promised when installed 20 months ago.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: