View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #24
Taz

Default bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I disagree with your disagreement. Boats today are bigger and beamier than they were years ago. Just look at the issues with public docks and marinas. Slips and docks were not designed for boats with 8' or bigger beams - right now this is one of the issues Meredith is wrestling with as they look to redesign docks in Meredith and Sheps.

Perhaps we're talking about different time frames - 20 plus years ago, family boats were typically in the 18-21 foot range. Today, 25' or bigger seems more the norm. This makes sense, as I also believe there are many more day users (people who have a slip but no property, valet, or trailer) so a bigger platform for the day makes things more comfortable.

Just my observations, recollections, and thoughts...
I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. I am talking from around 2008 on, not from 1920, 1930, 1940, 1950. 1960 etc, you get the point. Are you denying that there are more pontoon boats on the lake? I stand by my previous post. There is no doubt in my mind that I see much less large Carver liveaboard types on the lake and where I am docked. The marina I am in was full of large Carvers, a lot of people stayed overnight on their boats. Now many of the large boats that were in the marina I am in are gone and replaced with pontoon boats and day boats, 20 -25 foot range. I know a lot of people in my marina got rid of the large boats, bought a condo or moved here and now have a smaller day boat.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote