View Single Post
Old 09-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #75
Denny Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDad View Post
That sounds reasonable, but that's not what I'm seeing in another case.
In Gilmanton, new buyers are trying to boot existing owners from their own docks and even moorings.

Think about the ignorance and entitlement necessary to propose this:
New to town, they buy a house, knowing there is a substantial wait for dock space. They then petition everyone that they think "docks and moorings should be rotated" (even privately owned moorings). It's actual insanity.

You've got people who have lived there for 20 years getting threatened to be booted off their dock so the new guy can take his spot. They want to propose a rotation lottery.

Who wants to buy a boat that you might get to dock 2 out of every 5 or 6 years?
What size do you buy? What size is the next spot you'll get, it any?

Invest in the community, wait your turn, then enjoy it for life.

I'm new here, at least new to living here full time.
I'm happy to have valet service (and access to a semi-shared dock on the big lake from time to time.)

If you're so special that you want and need a dock right now, buy a house on the lake
I have no ties to any of the assoications involved nor am I familiar with them, however I do see both sides of the argument. If I have a dock why would I want to change to a lottery system?
I agree with the members who want to get rid of handing docks down to family members. A change of land ownership should put the new owners at the bottom of the wait list.
If I were on a waiting list for 1 year or 15 years, I would consider putting a motion on the annual ballot for a change to a fair lottery or sharing system that would get me on the water at least every other year. It would be better than what those members have now, which is nothing. Sure, it would be a big change for members locked in and in their eyes unfair, however if there were enough to votes change then the majority have spoken. The vote tally in the end will speak for the association. A new homeowner has the same voting power(1 per lot) as someowne who's owned for 50 years.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote