View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #69
ApS

Question Say, Where Are the Canoes We Used to See?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
My property retains trees and other vegetation, but erosion still occurs. Although the
erosion is so gradual that it might not be noticed from one year to the next, a telling indicator is that a surveyor's post from before my time on the property, presumably 30 years ago or so, is now two feet on the water side of the shore line.
When the lake level is highest, water reaches far behind the visible shoreline rocks—and pulls the soil into the lake.

When oversized boats pass by, their wakes artificially raise the lake level, invisibly (and "innocently") pulling even more soil contents into the lake.

The lake's "reach" is underfoot when one stands at the shoreline. (!)

This tree, which is obviously falling into the lake, could not have started as a sapling at "full pond". This tree is slowly releasing soil into the lake. Like many of the trees along Winter Harbor's shoreline, only a few shoreline rocks are delaying its slow slide into the lake.

I've cropped-out the dredging operation abutting this tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatnaude View Post
An interesting short read on the energy of waves as a factor of their height:
https://foca.on.ca/wp-content/upload...ther_lakes.pdf
The article fails to address the compounding of two or more wakes which extends the invisible reach of water to shorelines underfoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
APS, why do you always try and bend posts in directions they weren't meant to go...While it rains at my property, with the amount of vegetation, and rocks at the shoreline... I see very little erosion, end of story.... My shoreline for the most part is untouched.... no attempts for a beach etc. left the way mother nature created it...
There was a time when we didn't have to clean the waterfront of debris, twigs, limbs and the lake's bottom wasn't quicksand.

Like our neighbors (and islanders), we draw water from the lake. Early in the season, lake water appears different. Can you guess which container just might have the results of nine months of precipitation, an artificially-raised Spring lake level, a sun-filled weekend of oversized-boat traffic—versus the container filled a few days earlier?
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 08-20-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: fix last sentence
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: