View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #26
ApS

Wink "Work"—Good for You and Good for The World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNeckguy View Post
It’s a shame that most kids these days don’t partake in a summer job. The competitive nature of top schools has shifted kids focus from earning a few bucks in the summer (and learning the value of hard work) to internships and volunteering.
I had some summer "hard work" at Wolfeboro's Fred E. Varney Construction. Gordon Colby was my supervisor. Getting up at 6-AM was a real pain for a teen! With only the one car in the family, my Mom would drop me off every weekday. Aside from my appearance at the occasional concrete "pours", my actual "specialty" was forcing metal screens to fit wooden frames. The finished screens were bound for the many Fred E. Varney homes being built off Wolfeboro's Springfield Point Road and Hopewell Point.

More at "Esso—Fred E. Varney, Proprietor":
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=6962

At the time, that construction workshop and office was just uphill from the former Schillereff's Leather-Goods store on Center Street. (And just downhill from a present-day optometrist's office).

Once away from "hard work", I had some "fun work" getting paid to search the lake bottom using my $45 Aqua-Lung.

'Bought Air Force military-surplus-used, with scalloped bottom, and painted yellow, it probably was intended for some other gas. It was so heavy, I never needed weights. Equipment included a "Dive-Air" two-hose regulator and rare "J-valve" w/reserve. The nearest compressed-air-filling station to Wolfeboro was Laconia. While they did fill it—they declined to test it—as the last inspection date-stamp indicated 1947!

I also "subbed" at Harry Hopewell's Shell gas pump at Mast Landing—suited-up in heavy yellow coveralls.

Oh—you didn't know that Lake Wentworth once had a lakeside gas station?

Taken from an 8mm movie "still", this is the person I occasionally substituted for—the movie being taken at the Mast Landing site:

:
Attached Images