View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Loonwatch

Default Family ties to the Kittyhawk mid 50's

Kittyhawk
I've been looking for this plane for a very long time! Thanks to Jane Rice and her book on Bob Fogg, (photos in the book were fine by the way!), where digging into the various clues, (Skyhaven and others), got me to this very post on the Winni Forum.

Back in the mid 50's, my father and mother BOTH flew this Kittyhawk, and once, with me, as a toddler, in it! Back in those days, my grandparents had a camp up on Tommy's Cove on the Lake, (subsequently they moved Meredith Bay where I now live). My dad, a pilot from Massachusetts, got to be friends with Bill Muzzey and eventually hopped passengers for Bill out of the Paugus Base during the summer. I have attached (or am trying to attach) a picture of my dad alongside the Kittyhawk, now in your hands.

I was originally thinking, from the book, that the Kittyhawk, (that's what Mom and Dad always called it), was the Waco NC8531, but of course, it's not. In Jane's book, she writes that the Waco was purchased by Bill Muzzey and I didn't know he had more than one plane! Comparing my picture to the one in the book, the engine was wrong as were the windshields and the wing supports, but the pontoons were right and the cockpit door looked the same.

Now of course, the mystery is solved and Kittyhawk is found! I'm officially inviting you up to the Lake next summer, when hopefully you could take my Mom for a short ride in the biplane she took her flying lessons in as a young mom. She was so excited when I told her I found the plane. I would even contribute to getting some pontoons on your "ship", as I assume from Jane's book that this can be done relatively easily? Even with wheels, my mom, at a young 86, would still be thrilled beyond words to go up for a flight over the lake, as would I. Dad will have to watch from much further above.

At any rate, ride or not, I'm so glad to have "found" the Kittyhawk, and thank you so much for posting and asking for historical contributions, and for restoring that beautiful airplane!
Now I'm considering going after my own license and hope to be able to someday fly an open cockpit biplane over this enchanting lake. Bucket list for sure!

Not sure how to PM, but would be happy to exchange contact info. My parents names may very well be in the logbooks.
Loonwatch is offline   Reply With Quote