View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #15
LastonBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastonBoard View Post
Monday afternoon I was out on my local river an felt my outboard bog down (Mercury 200 EFI). I immediately dropped it into neutral at which time it stalled out (no alarms went off)and I could not get it restarted. I brought it to a local marina and the mechanic rotated the flywheel (by hand with a socket) 9-10 times before it locked up. Based on that alone he diagnosed the problem as a seized powerblock and quoted me $7500 to fix it.

When a block seizes is it still possible to turn the flywheel by hand? Is there something else that could cause the fly wheel to lock after 9-10 rotations?
Update for What its Worth - turns out that the top of one piston had started to melt leaving a 1/4 inch ball of melted metal on the head. The piston was still able to move, but hit the melted metal before completing the full stroke (hence the fly wheel locking up). No scoring or damage to the block. Looks like the injector for that one cylinder clogged up, causing the bog I mention above and rapid meltdown of the piston head. Having the injectors cleaned, new pistons, new oil pump (just in case) and hopefully will be back on the water soon.

Thanks to everyone who posted.
LastonBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LastonBoard For This Useful Post: