View Single Post
Old 11-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #41
Poor Richard

Paying for kindling is............interesting. Not something I'd have ever thought was a thing in such a green area of the world.

I get it, it's a minimal cost however it's still something that is lost on me considering the ease of gathering and abundance of wood fuel.

A 15 minute nature walk with a backpack yields months of kindling. Added benefits? Fresh air, connecting with nature, exercise.

If you're processing your own wood, all that fire starter stuff shows up by default.

I'm not saying these things to knock anyone. After reading this thread I realized how fricken cheap I am!

Somewhat similar to what ApS does:

Between two logs with one or two logs bridging the top, a few strips of birch bark under a teepee pile of tinder (which is almost always strips of grain from whatever showed up from splitting).

Add a tiny amount of lint to the birch strips, grab the magnesium striker and FOOF! Fire

SailinAway - I'd like to get back up there for a day to continue with the work we started...perhaps just before Thanksgiving? Could bring my chop saw to help with the kindling if need be. After reading a few of your comments, I'm also very curious to see your wood stove setup.

What does the forum think of wrapping some of these radiators with something like an S14 panel-type of insulation?
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote