View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #57
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Well isn't this thread going all kinds of wonderful places.....

So the OP stayed overnight on or buy Ragged Island... Was anyone Hurt? Did he leave a mess or pollution behind? Did he cause any damage to anything on the island?

I understand full well who owns the island, at that part of their rules are that there isn't supposed to be overnight stays, with out approval. But come on, I don't see anything in the rules, that stops me from taking a ride out their at midnight, and walking around the island with a flashlight... (other then the fact that I am generally asleep these days by 10:30)

I love this lake, but what it is becoming is very upsetting. It is a great asset to the state, and local economies, but it appears that all the State, Towns, and residents want to do is push people away so that their shangrala is a private club.

Why can't people anchor overnight if the boat is capable of supporting such activity? Especially if they do it in an area where they are not disturbing residents... On the southwest side of Ragged is a perfect example of that. Why don't the towns want to produce revenue with some transient docking, and allowing people transient slips that they can be in from say 10 P.M. to 8 A.M. so as to not inter fear with the day use of the docks. Why doesn't a group like LRCT, support the use of their land for enjoyment? They do a wonderful job of preserving it..... But come one, put a couple of tentsite in on Ragged Island, that people can use... I am sure they could find a retired member that would be willing to summer on the island, and make sure people pick up and take care of the place, or lose a deposit, that they had to leave for the right to use the site......

Honestly what is the purpose of preserving beauty, if you don't allow people to use and enjoy it. What is the purpose of restricting the use of asset such as lake Winnipesaukee, such that people stop wanting to spend time there... These things are happening.... When I started coming up in the 80s and 90s, finding a hotel room on a weekend was unheard of..... in 2019, I have seen smaller place close, and almost any weekend I pass by at least one Hotel or Motel that has a room available.

As much as NH claims to be the live free or Die state, it is really starting to become the, its ours to enjoy but not yours unless you do as we say state.....

Sorry this is how I feel.... but I think it is sad.... I have a 10 year plan in my life, and for those 10 years I plan to continue to keep my families camp on Winnipesaukee, because it is convenient, and easy to get to from where my career dictates I live. But slowly I am making my mind up, that Winnipesaukee is no longer where I wish to retire, the society around the lake is becoming more like an exclusive country club, then a place of relaxation to get away from the societal norms......