View Single Post
Old 03-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #86
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
I don't believe that all FHW systems require temperature in the boiler to be maintained just in case of a heat demand. I have two Biasi FHW systems and they are both cold start. No constant boiler temperature. Boiler only fires when there is a heat demand....not on standby. I also put a simple $1 switch on the hot water tank thermostat line so I can interrupt the circuit and not have hot water when we are away for days/weeks. Took about 1o minutes to wire it in and works like a charm. No need to produce hot water or maintain hot water temp in the indirect water tank when nobody id around. Just flip the switch.
I think letting FHW systems cold start will shorten their life span. Also I don’t think oil fired likes it either. They are designed to stay warm. I did similar stuff to my oil fired FHW and I could tell it just didn’t like it, but I still did it anyway. Another problem is chimney doesn’t like it either.

One of the main things that ages stuff is expansion and contraction. The wider the swing and the higher the frequency the faster things age.

My MA system is FHA with natural gas direct vent It runs extremely low for very long periods or cold start. It’s designed for it. I never even know if it’s on or not. Also have tankless instant hot water. But it’s not that instant takes a minute or two. If I had to do over again I’d get one that has a 1-2 gallon storage tank.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote