View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #59
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I was the poster who mentioned the generator, and you are correct about a generator equating to a fuel source. Propane is a very popular generator fuel, and my thinking is that if a house has a generator, and the fuel is propane, then I would have that be a stand alone system, not providing fuel to any other system in the house. Most fuel providers offer automatic fill programs, some with pre-buy options, some not, but in order to accurately calculate the automatic fill delivery cycle, there has to be a reasonably consistent usage curve based on house size, season, weather (temperature), and family dynamic. Since it is not really possible to calculate usage for a generator , and since you certainly do not want to run out of fuel for your generator, I would keep the generator on its own system, not associated with the main propane supply for household use. Maybe somebody who has a generator for standby purposes and also uses propane for household purposes can comment on this situation.
I think that depends on how often you generally lose electric. In our former home we had oil heat and a whole house generator with its own propane tanks. We lost electricity quite a lot but the propane lasted for at least a good 3 years, except for for whenever we lost power for a week or so. And we had the room on our property for the 250 gallon stand up oil tank and the 2 /100 gallon propane tanks.

Here in our current home we have a teeny, tiny lot with 2 /100 gallon propane tanks - propane heat and for the generator, though we do have room for another tank. We did consider getting a separate propane tank for the generator, but considering power rarely goes out here, and we are living in a small, 1100 foot new build cottage which is energy efficient, we figured it might be overkill. I must confess, though, that we revisited that decision recently when it seemed our propane company was having a hard time getting deliveries out and our tanks were getting lower than we were comfortable with in the brutal temperatures we’ve been having.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post: