View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 05:07 PM   #50
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
That noise problem has got to be a function of the brand. My new(ish) home has (2) 5-ton Mitsubishi heat pumps, that serve a total of 10 concealed air handler zones in the house. You can't even hear them unless you are 10 or 15 feet away. Even then, they are remarkably quiet.

I'm not 100% happy with the system, but it works, and isn't noisy.
I think he made a really good point.
I could barely ever hear the small cheap unit I installed outside.
But if it was aimed right at a neighbors window 100ft away it might be heard on a peaceful lake night.

They all have to move air in a confined space.
And the lakes can be so quiet you can hear a fish jump out of the water a 100 yards out.

If everyone had them then it will be like light pollution.
Also they tend to put out a white noise. Your brain will filter that out.
But you will notice it when you turn them off. It can mask you from hearing other pleasant night sounds you want to hear.

Just like light pollution. One light here and there seems innocent. Next thing you know you can’t see the stars any more.

I may end up with one but it’s something I will look at closely.

One other consideration is a straight air sourced heat pump.
The external unit is the same as a mini split and as efficient but is like a conventional forced hot air system in the house. So no ugly head units. The system I have in MA force hot air. You can’t hear it 1 ft away from the vents. Just constant very low flow warm air. Because fan is way down in the main unit and not turning very fast once up to temp.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote