Thread: Gas Tank Woes
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
jazzman

I've had the boat a couple years now, so I probably don't have much claim against anyone. The boat always smelled a little gassy with a full tank and rough water, but I always wrote it off to some gas coming out the vent or something. When we pulled the boat because it wasn't running well, the marina noted that gas was running out of the bilge when they had it on a steep ramp (and the tank happened to be pretty full). They now believe that the upper level of the tank is rotten.

I see people online saying that changing out the tank could be 5-6k if you want to properly put the deck back together. The boat is probably worth 10k and it's sitting with a 50 hour 2014 60hp Merc bigfoot, so it doesn't seem smart to try to swap out the tank.

At this point I'd love to find a 10 year old 17 foot whaler without an engine and toss the hull.

I've been looking for a center console captains seat with a built in 10-12 gallon gas tank, but I don't think anyone makes one. Unfortunately the seat I have now seems to have a structural cooler built into it.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote