View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
ApS

Question Texas-Sized?

Next to the dock today, something big and black caught my eye—and disappeared. It had scuttled around the far side of a Hemlock "bush". One of a pair of Eastern Hemlock trees that we keep closely-cropped).

Looking under the freshly abandoned 5-inch circular mesh of spider web, I could see about 200 BB-sized spiderlings.

A couple of years ago, I had seen something similar in the other Hemlock bush and back then, I put my face closer, when the bush started to tremble.

"Momma" Dock Spider had come out to accost the villain who had disturbed her nest—a scary sight, indeed!

I bring this up because I haven't seen any other trees with those Dock Spider webs. (I prefer White Pine trees for New Hampshire homes, but loggers do, too).

Maybe it's time to remove those two "trees" and replant with hophornbeam?

BTW: The video I'd previously placed was marked indicating it wasn't for casual viewing. (And even after several viewings a year apart, I still got goosebumps!) So consider yourselves post-warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Could this be the terrifying wolf spider??
Perhaps the Arizona Wolf Spider, but it shares no kinship with the Florida Wolf Spider.

(This particular specimen had lost a leg to a Rottweiler).