View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,499 Times in 976 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleared2play View Post
I have been coming to Lake Winnipesaukee for over 20 years and have never experienced the hostility I witnessed yesterday on July 4th. I was coming from Bear Island and heading directly over to Governors Island on our 22 ft powerboat with my two young boys to visit friends. After yielding to several boats in my starboard sector I watched as a boat and wave runner approached me from my port side. As the stand-on vessel, I held my course and speed while keeping a careful eye on them. Instead of slowing or veering behind me, they held course and passed uncomfortably close behind me and proceeded to yell obscenities and flip me off. I threw my hands up and said I had the right of way. The boat and wave runner then stopped and turned around and proceeded to follow me into shore threatening me and continuing to yell obscenities and scaring my boys. The driver suggested that I learn boating etiquette as a boat going "this way on the lake always has the right of way." I suggested that he read the manual to learn about the stand-on and give-way vessels. The wave runner approached and threatened to come over and F*!# me up. Everyone on the boat was swearing at me. At that point I could tell the "conversation" was futile and was starting to get concerned about our safety and drove away. My question is this: is there some unwritten rule on the lake about traveling in certain directions that supersedes the NH Boating handbook?
Having read the preceding 20 posts, and re-read the OP, I see some open questions.
If the OP is stand on, and the other vessel makes no course or speed correction and then passes behind the OP, then the appearance to me is that both vessels held the other on the port side. Passing behind, "uncomfortably close" is not familiar to me relative to 150 feet, but in 49 states, there is no 150 foot rule and it happens on occasion.
If they passed behind the OP and then started a conversation, it sounds like the OP may have then stopped to discuss too, otherwise he could not have understood much of the conversation.

Action to take? No matter what the other guy says, does, it is always boating etiquette to smile wave and keep on going, expecting they would do the same. (Remember when all boaters waved to each other?)
Next action? If you are verbally assaulted, there might be cause for action. Get the bow # and whatever other descriptive info you can, get on the VHF and report to MP. The value of VHF here is that others will hear and be watching. You can't do this by phone. Even if MP can't do anything immediately, they have a record, and if Captain Bonehead is reported elsewhere on the lake, doing similar things, they can often look up an address and meet him later in the day. Because MP does not have a lot of resources, does not mean they are not resourceful. I am aware of instances where a VHF report resulted in MP tracking down the other boat, confirmed stories, and giving the captain a 20 minute lesson on rules of the road.

Also sounds like the Bonehead and the Wave runner were traveling together. Bet they were at speed and not 150 feet apart, right?
Can't imagine where the idea originated about unwritten ROW rules, except on some small ponds where locals agree that skiers, etc go counter clockwise.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote