View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
ChrisStratton

Default Open Cell Spray Foam - crawl space and interior walls

Hi WinniPeople!

This forum is a great resource and I'm happy to be able to participate here. Thx!

We are looking at getting a small cottage above a lake. It is a pier and beam construction (floor beams on poured cement piers) with wooden slats protecting the crawl space from entry by larger critters, but not affording much other protection.

We're thinking to winterize the thing, which is moderately insane, I know.

It appears the floor joists are closed in above the dirt below the cottage with some sort of particle board, and they seem to be holding up pretty well (the particle boards). Reportedly, there is no insulation between the joists. Obviously, I'll confirm that. I'm thinking about drilling from the cottage floor and filling the joist cavities with open cell foam, then vapor sealing from the floor above (will put in new new flooring) to keep the warm moist air from traveling to into the foam below and then condensing on the cold particle board at the bottom. I might also cover the dirt floor w/ 6 or 10 mil poly to reduce summer moisture.

I hope someone might be able to point me in the direction of large quantities of open cell spray foam components, either spray or poured liquid. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
ChrisStratton is offline   Reply With Quote