Thread: Losing Power?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

This is really a loaded question anyways.

Power loss can be caused by any number of things, return to operation depends on the cause. Around these parts most if not all major outages are caused by physical damage to the power lines. The extent of damage and more importantly where will determine the outage length. Ice storms and microbursts\high winds are likely to create the most extensive damage, the former on a very wide scale the second intense damage to a more confined area but both usually result in downed lines, snapped poles etc... things that don't get fixed in a few hours. These are not common occurrences but do happen from time to time leaving you having to figure out what to do in the mean time. The power grid to some degree has the ability to re-rout power around damaged areas so long as things are intact.

If you take a look at where you house is drawing power in relation to the power grid, if you are on a main feed line your down time is likely to be minimal comparatively speaking to being on a single feed leg. Power companies restore power to the mains first then hit the areas where they can get the greatest number of people back up with each fix and so on until everyone is back online. If your on a leg shared by only a few houses chances are you'll be waiting a while.

As mentioned, getting yourself setup with at minimum a good portable 5-7K watt generator is a worthwhile investment and are going to produce plenty of power to handle the essentials. Just make sure it is wired correctly with a sub panel and isolation from the main. To many just backfeed their system through a 220 circuit such as a dryer outlet, this is not only dangerous but also illegal. Just don't forget that portable generators should be started every now and then, gas in the tank should be stored with stabilizer if not used and an annual once over to ensure the oil levels are good and so forth. I usually fire mine up twice a year and let them run for about a half hour. Better to find a problem with them when you don't need them than when you do!

I've never been disappointed that I am prepared to be self sufficient when need be, my neighbors who were not and had to host during outages in the past have all figured out it's worth it as well.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote