View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #138
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Could not agree more. This works really well outside NH.This aspect of boating does not need to be complex.
As you well know, boating outside of New Hampshire or off of Winnipesaukee is an entirely different experience.

"No wake" speeds are about twice what they are on Winnipessaukee and there is no safe passage law. If you go through a no wake zone in Florida at the same speed you would go through the Weirs Channel you could get rear ended.

I think that different interpretation partially explains why so many boats with out of state registrations go through the Weirs Channel throwing a significant wake and have no idea that they are doing anything wrong. It means different things to different people in other states.

Even without a safe passage law it always surprises me in Florida when another boat overtakes and passes mine at 30 to 40 MPH and is almost close enough that you could shake the Captain's hand. I think so many people are just unaware of the wake behind them and how much it affects other boats they pass.

We have it pretty good on Winnipesaukee and most boat operators are courteous and respectful. The state could have stopped making new boating laws and new No Wake zones on Winnipesaukee about 15 years ago and we might all be better off.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: