Thread: US Coast Guard
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #37
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

[QUOTE=BroadHopper;203147]I did not mean that the auxilary should stop boats and do safety checks although the MP use to do it in the past. Why did the MP stop now? Probably because stopping someone without just cause is deemed unconstitutional. I for one would be very upset to be stopped for no reason at all! We do not live in a police state!Just walking along the public docks, I can see boats with unsufficient life vests etc. I can't comment on this since I don't go around looking at other peoples boats for safety infractions. I go boating for the pleasure aspect of it. I have not notice in the past.

How could one possibly boat a whole year without the required registration sticker? Probably because the Marine Patrol are keeping their eyes on more important SAFETY infractions. Makes me wonder how many unregistered boats are out there. Who cares, it's not for you and I to worry about, they will eventually get caught.

I called in early last summer that the northwest marker of the Witches being misplaced. As of last fall, the bouy was still in the wrong place. Have the MP stopped maintaining the bouys? A number of folks on this site noticed and called in. I too have called in many missing markers and in every instance the Marine Patrol responded very quickly, usually the same day.

As for safety, try kayaking, canoeing or sailing on the lake, I had many closed calls. How about the 150' rule. You really want to know what I think of the 150' rule... I think it's the most ridiculous rule we have on the lake! Do you honestly get scared if someone goes by 100' from you? If so try boating anywhere else in the world. Heck I just came back from the Turks and Caicos Islands, there were boats and jet skis buzzing through swim areas within feet of people swimming! They never have any accidents and people and other boaters are not afraid. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnbMWF_UjHM do these boats look 150' apart??... does it look unsafe?? Ask Scott Verdonk what it's like to go "Jammin On The James" when boats are going 60 - 70 MPH just a few feet apart!! Why is it only on Winnipesaukee do people make a big deal about a boat that is 100' away!! If people are that scared to be out there it's time for a new hobby! I've been buzzed numerous time, close enough to be sprayed. I can see where the speed limit supporters are coming from but speed is not the issue. Agreed There will always be boating accidents just like there will always be car accidents. Sometimes people do stupid things and make mistakes it's called being human. When someone accidentally runs a red light or a stop sign sometimes the outcome is a fender bender or worse. We can try and minimize it but we can never stop it as long as the human factor is there.

I'm not knocking the MPs. They do one heck of a job covering the lake, Agreed! but it clearly shows they need more manpower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: