View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
mneck1814

Default Sharing works for us...

It is really unfortunate that so many people have had bad experiences with sharing family camps. For me, sharing is one of the things I love most about our camp, I have always spent my summers at the lake surrounded by me extended family.

My mom and her siblings are joint owners of the property which they inherited from their parents. The joint ownership is unique in that it is setup that if someone wants out, they do not have the option of selling or being bought out, they simply have to sign off or after 2 years of being delinquent on taxes/maintenance fees they can be removed. Over the last 15 years, one brother has signed off due to lack of use. The siblings each get 2 weeks that they can reserve for their own families, but truthfully most of the time everyone is under the “more the merrier” policy. The camp is rarely reserved for more than 2 weeks all summer. Holiday weekends CANNOT be reserved, they are for all to enjoy.

Interestingly, my grandfather inherited the camp from his Aunt after he was the only one of his siblings to not sell the adjacent pieces of land that she had subdivided and given each of them; it was important to his aunt to keep the camp in the family and she didn’t trust that his siblings felt the same way.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mneck1814 For This Useful Post: