View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #72
Steve Nobleman

Default Winnisquam Boat & Ski Club

Saw BroadHopper's post. I remember the Winnisquam Boat & Ski Club from the mid-1960s. My Dad was President for at least one summer. Meetings were held at the Winnisquam Firehouse, just up the hill for Mersky's General Store and the Mosquito bridge (when it had real character and was not just a road over the lake). My Dad still has the "logo" they designed for the club the year he was President. It's an Indian on two skis holding the handle to the tow rope in one hand and a tomahawk in the other. He's got a big toothy smile. I was a pre-teen, but have great memories. The ski racing big rivalry on the Lake at the time was between Wadleigh's Marine and Jay's Marine. Wadleigh's sold Johnson motors and Jay's sold Mercury. All outboard engines. This was before Mercury came to dominate the market and there was no such thing as in I/O. 100 horsepower was a huge engine. My older sister and brother skied for Richard Wadleigh and must have won most of the races, because we had a lot of trophies in the house. Eddie Lang was the arch rival from Jay's. I remember at the end of one summer I huge bonfire where a wooden version of Eddie's boat "Wild Thing" topped the pile. One year we built the ski jump that was used for many years. In addition to ski races and jumping there were slalom competitions and some fun races where a motorized boat would pull you a row boat in one direction and the row boat had to drag to motorized boat back the other direction. That was great summer fun!
Steve Nobleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Nobleman For This Useful Post: