View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Really? You need to help me with this--aren't local taxes spent primarily on schools, roads, police, fire? Given the need to use the boat, response time may be a bit slow, but I don't understand how islanders get less than other seasonal owners.
The following can be argued...

No police protection from the town, that falls under the remit of the MP

No fire, or maybe better put "best effort" by the surrounding towns. Of course that's why we carry catastrophic polices on our property, or better put I do.

Far as the rest, sure no roads to maintain but the town does provide several boat ramps, docks and parking lots which do need some resemblance of maintenance. OF course to technically get "free" access to the boat ramp it requires a $20.00 dump sticker.

Quite frankly got the association letter in the mail, read it and didn't see much a coherent justification as to why this association is even needed. In fact it seemed to be a list of personal grievances by the author. Just remember you start demanding more from the town that doesn't come free. Looking next door to Gilford, sure they have some cool stuff, they also pay dearly for it when the tax man comes knocking. That sadly is the problem with most of the people that have moved here or own from elsewhere - they want more, demand more, vote in more (when they can), then complain their tax bill goes up. Um DUH!

I'm sure I'll be beat up for this, but whatever I'll be one of the few to say I'm perfectly content with the way things are.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote