View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default roadside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
For some reason your response to this doesn't surprise me at all. Common sense isn't all that "common" anymore. Cate, at some point, paid for roadside assistance. That service doesn't reside on every corner and traveling 30 miles to perform the service isn't unreasonable at all to me. She is new to the area and probably doesn't have many gentlemen, co-workers or friends she can call on at this point. I don't see any humor in this nor do I think a flat tire is intended to be humorous. If you don't want your wife changing a tire then I wouldn't throw stones at a service that provides an avenue to make that happen for those who choose to use it and pay for it. It is hardly a "union" thing and definitely has nothing to do with what is wrong with America and how it does business today.

For you and me, a jack, 5 lugs (it's a Subaru, 4 lugs) and 15 minutes is no problem. For the overwhelming majority, its a phone call and someone else comes and does it for you.

BT
Roadside assistance is included in every new vehicle warrenty in the country...when you buy a new vehicle you get it. Extend the warrenty a bit, and roadside is generally extended as well. So, yes, the service is purchased...whether it be directly, or indirect.
That really is not the spirit of my posts, though. It is a flat tire. Road service will not repair the tire...they will just come to the rescue. Due to a road hazard (nail, in this case) the customer is then responsable for the repair.
So, Scubadoo (sic) subbed out (AS IN PAID) someone, to travel 35 miles (each way) in a truck to change the tire. Assume they probably travelled in some type of service vehicle, it probably gets 14/16 MPG, maybe worse, but lets say 15MPG. 70 miles required 5 gallons at 3.15/3.17. Close to 20 bucks in gas, and the labor, probably 1.5, maybe 2, at whatever...$35, maybe $40 PER UNIT HOUR...the labor rates are pre negotiated, and drive time is paid for. It is not unreasonable to think..in fact it is most probably accurate..that Scubadoo is going to be billed $100 or slightly over...to change a flat.
If you don't think, that eventually that cost finds it's way back to the consumer...well, I don't know how you could not think that. My point is simply that there are no less than 50 shops, within 10 miles of Wolfboro that offer the service of coming out and removing the tire. Of course it is not Cate's fault...makes no difference to her. But it makes sense to you, Blue Thunder, that someone travelled 35 miles, to change a flat..not repair, just spin the lugs, and throw the donut on???? OK then, we'll agree to disagree.
If you were payng the bill,would you call someone 35 miles a away? THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MINUTE.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote