View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #29
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Lawn psycho I think you are on the right track with your research.

jrc, I have found quite a few nuggets that I am compiling. I can't wait to get the list of names and see if there are any repeats.

It's a shame this issue can't continue to be debated in the main boating section. I'm trying to gather input from both sides to find common ground and a workable solution. IMO what's on the books now just plain stinks for everyone.

Once I have everything put together, I will be sending it to the various agencies.

What I don't like is how the DOS can write safety rules or institute a no rafting zone with only 25 people's signatures and a public hearing at the local town hall. The requirements to obtain a NRZ are subjective which throws more mud into the water.

Vitabene is on to something. Here is a screen shot from the current google maps of the West Alton Sandbar and I have put in a rough line of the 150 ft distance from the shore. The parallax error from the satellite angle throws it off a bit but it's close enough to get the point across.

In the lower right of the image you see the house that was built in the last 4-5 years as I recall (don't remember exactly when it was built). That is the only home adjacent to the area. I will also add that he should have done some diligence if living next to a sandbar was going to be an issue.
With the NRZ that is in place, the entire area including the entrance to Small's Cove which leads to West Alton Marina is restricted from legally anchoring. Look at the amount of area where there is no inhabited area but yet you can't legally anchor even a single boat. The two boats in the image below that are inside the 150 marker could be cited for a rafting violation. I think that's just silly.

I should put a second line that shows approximately where the sandbar gets to about 5-6 feet deep as that's end of the desirable area to anchor and swim. So now that area pushes boats closer together than they would naturally "self-seed". This is the one that burns my butt as now there is a 150 ft no man's land there. Next summer I will get a picture to show how non-functional it is. I believe the DOS pooched it when they drafted their safety rules and allowed this area to be a NRZ.

It's not my style but I really want to get a loud set of speakers and a bass box installed on my boat and point it at that house. Start at about 6:30AM and stay ALL DAY. Maybe even play the same song over and over again
Attached Images