View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
This makes sense. Thank you for explaining.

Still not sure what to do if I am going ACROSS the lake, as it seems I would need to cross a channel to do so, but i am talking about an infrequent urge, so I think it would be rare. Other kayakers might like going across more often, and, without meaning disrespect, may need to cross a channel to get to the other side.

Why did the kayaker cross the powerboat channel?
To get to the other side......

I would agree.. I also Kayak.. However there are only a few places that by going across would you have to cause a powerboat to come off plane. Most everywhere I know of a powerboat would have plenty of room to go around (well beyond 150 ft). These channels I mention, you technically don't have to cut across. Paddle down a couple hundred yards and cross there. Not a big deal.

Now on the weekends an entirely different ballgame, due to congestion. But in those situations I wouldn't be caught dead in the middle of a high traffic channel in a kayak. I don't like being there in a powerboat. Too many uneducated boaters.

If you want to cross the lake during the week or even a Sunday, I bet you would not make one boat have to change course.

Its just a matter understanding the lake. Having crossed my bay many many times on a kayak there is one "channel" or an area that the powerboats normally travel. I see where the easiest place to cross is, wait then go.

As an example: do you remember when Eagle Island was Not a no wake zone? Can you imagine paddleing into there on the weekend? Well on a lesser scale, I see that all the time.. Absolutely nuts when you can easily hug the island on either side right???