View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
anticd70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
I think Sandwich like many small "out of the way" towns is a beautiful small community. However, if you have never lived in an isolated community like this consider how far you have to drive for conveniences. Your kids may initially like all the space they get but may grow bored with less kid based community sponsored activities that you may find in a larger community.

Also, while Squam is a gorgeous like and love being on it, it is also a very nerve-wracking lake due to the amount of hazards all over it. It will take some time to get comfortable there. The main draw back if you don't live on that lake is the parking only holds about 20 boats and fills up on weekends very early. Trout/salmon guys will take many spots before sunrise and bass guys will take many more before 9AM. Pleasure boats get what is left and there is NO WHERE else to park your trailer or launch if you miss the last open spot. As such each weekend trip for pleasure boaters or people who sleep in is a risky proposition.

Center Harbor (your closest public ramp) also has limited parking near the ramp and you will have to haul your trailer up behind the fire station after that. Sheps used to have plenty of space but since it went free...tough getting a parking spot on a weekend after 9.

While I love Sandwich as a community, I think the lake access issues, isolation and lack of services including cell phone would probably have me looking at other non-big lake communities that are a bit more convenient and have better public access like Gilmanton, Pittsfield, Sanborton, New Hampton, Belmont, Tilton, etc. Be aware that some of these communities are adversely impacted by Loudon races in summer or large activites like Bike Week.
Great info....thanks
anticd70 is offline   Reply With Quote