View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #120
ghfromaltonbay

Default That's the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
From my observations from the dock—and from my boats—I agree that towing six kids is a moving hazard. New Hampshire should revert to the original RSA, before we have still another NH law named after the victim(s).

Frequently, one kid will be thrown off in a turn, that kid's tube-partner may fall-off 50 feet later. A third kid will roll off to be picked up with the other two, and still others will stay behind the towing boat. By the time the turn is made, there are kids strung out over 300-500 feet—what's the observer to do?
The scenario you cite is exactly what I observed with the guy towing 5 kids who looked like pre-teens and younger. When a few flew off they wound up scattered across the bay in front of Sandy Point. It took the driver some time to go back and pick up 3 or 4 kids who were more than 150 feet apart. If anyone was coming around Sandy Point they would not have had a lot of time to react to seeing small heads bobbing in the drink. It seems the driver preferred being out in the middle of the channel rather than staying closer to the western shore where the traffic is much lighter. Must be related to the slalom skier down this way who always likes to drop her ski near the mouth of Sandy Point cove instead of near the western shoreline.