Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #402
parrothead

Default What might happen

There is a lot of concern of what might happen. The concerns voiced can happen, but aren't very likely. I am concerned that my house may get hit by lightening, but I know it "most" likely won't happen. There are far more likely things that will happen to you while at the lake than these. And the concerns that have been voiced could still happen after a speed limit is enacted.

As I stated before I understand the point of view of both sides of the speed limit debate. I hold no stake in either side, because our boat runs at around 30mph, and we don't go out after dark. But I still don't think a speed limit is going to provide the dividends that WINNFABs hopes for. I still fervently believe that the main "problem" that affects the lake is congestion. And ignorance of the current laws. Will the trailered in GF boater not go to the lake, probably? Will a family decide to trailer their boat to the "New and Improved" Winnipesaukee, maybe? But the boater that owns a house and a boat on the lake is not going to move just because of the speed limit. So I don't think that the congestion is going to get better because of this speed limit. Hopefully the fact that everyone needs a boating certificate this year will help with the ignorance issue.

As for the accident that just occurred and the accident in VT. A drunk boater is not going to care about a speed limit. Not saying that Erica was drunk, because I don' know. The pro-speed limit crowd just keeps fixating on the speed of the boat. But it is not as cut and dry, and other factors contributed to this accident. And some of those factors are more likely the cause of the accident than the rate of speed. And when the investigation is complete we will find out the contributing factors in the Diamond Island accident. Speed may be one of the factors, but it may or may not be the cause.

BI, I commend your support of Summer Camps. Some of my fondest memories are of the times that I spend on the lake at camp. But congestion is the reason for curtailed boating by camps. I still don't think that the speed limit is going to change the number of boats on the lake. They will be going slower, but still there none the less. And due to congestion, the camps will still limit the boating programs to when the lake is less busy. Just my opinion, and I know you disagree. I just don't think that slower speeds are going to scare away enough boats to make a difference.

So I still don't think that this proposed law is going make a difference in the long run. Enforcement would make a difference, but we all know that isn't going to happen. So it is up to the operators to "police" their actions, which hasn't always worked. The current laws are "self policed" due to not enough LEOs around. BWI, 150' violations, NWZ infractions, as well as others happen all the time. Why would the speed limit be different? Just my two cents.