View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #36
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
that is what the agent says, speak to a claims representative at the carrier directly (they are the ones that determine if coverage exists or not) I have been in the industry as an underwriter and agent for over 13 plus years specifically in transportation, I know not 20 or 30 but a long time. Policies read that "while attached," (or something around those words depending on carrier) it does not say "if it becomes detached." Insurance policies are written the same as legal documents and are interpreted as written, and not implied.

The reason it is covered while attached is because it becomes part of the vehicle at that point and extension of the vehicle if you will

While a carrier might do you a solid or to save face cover the claim, it is not covered in the policy directly, why else would they sell you the liability separately and allow you to list it on the policy by itself. I would bet my lively hood that if the claim was major and being sued for big bucks the carrier would decline the claim because it is not specifically covered in the auto policy, again unless you list it

sorry if I sounded snotty above, wasn't trying to be and did not know how else to write it

Thanks, My agent did call there "coverage expert" at Allstate and they confirmed as long as the car was towing the trailer when it detached it would still be covered. She also went on to say there is no way to add liability to just a trailer with Allstate so I couldn't if I wanted to. I can, and did, ad comprehensive in case a tree falls on it but she was sure the liability was passed through the car.

Maybe it does vary between states and companies...
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote