View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #33
jeffk

Default Part of this is a state activity

The current rest area is just liquor store and bathrooms. The state had to pay to build, maintain, and plow that area. If the state wants to build a larger liquor store I would guess that they have some expectation that they can increase sales to help pay for it. Visitor centers also are common state responsibility to promote the state and available activities. I would expect that the state would continue to cover maintenance and plowing for their own operations (50% of the space).

The question is, how much of the independent business construction costs is the state going to pick up, if any? These will all be money makers for the state because of the tax revenue although there is some validity to the idea of business simply being transferred from one spot to another. Gas purchases for example. However, for food it could be the difference between $30 of fast food or $60 for a better meal. The appeal of "one stop shopping" would also make a more pleasant stop for a visitor and set a good tone for their visit.

I don't think we know enough as to whether this will be a good deal for the state in the long run but public/private partnerships are a good idea in general. The private part will be investing a considerable amount of money and paying taxes on sales. That's not a bad start.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote