View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #36
ApS

Exclamation Within Our Lifetimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
How nice is it we are complaining of people who bother us because they are taking care of their property. Ever drive by a yard that has sheet from corner to corner or grass 3' tall. I'll take the leaf blower for 20-30 minutes.
Winnipesaukee's noisy leaf blowers are like removing the Canada Geese problem: you make a lot of noise, and they move next door!

My ancient "lawn" is a delightful and thick growth of soft mosses—like walking on a moist cloud—sensually enjoyable in bare feet! It's clean, but you feel dirty!

That moss spreads from my sundecks down to the water, and over the shoreline boulders. Wildflowers (like Pink Lady's Slipper) sprout within that mass. Nothing whatsoever is required to maintain it, and it holds the soil far better than the dominant Eastern Hemlocks. (Which I replace with White Pines at every opportunity).

From the perspective of demographics: let's take Webmaster Don—with whom most members are familiar—as the median age of a group divided into a senior group that has made Winnipesaukee their home in retirement, and a Junior group who hasn't—or who won't—for whatever reasons.

(Oversized toys that drain their savings?)

During those years—within the lifetimes of the senior half of our demographics—the Lakes Region has seen the slow and steady removal of woods, and substitution of grassy lawns that require leaf-blowers, fertilizing, watering and mowing.

Within the lifetimes of the senior half of our demographics, the 2½-mile-long street I live on, started with no homes, no cross-streets, and no view of the lake. Even those homes that appeared in later years that "spared" a lot of trees have slowly removed them—substituting grassy lawns instead.

(My Dad's place in Wolfeboro included).

Opposite my mossy lawn, just 200-feet from my front door lie 100 acres of "perfect" lawn. The guy running the mower produces a constant drone—said to be the loudest of suburban noises.

It'd be funny—but in watching him, the areas he just completed trimming has sprinklers watering where he just finished mowing.

This conversion of "original" New Hampshire woods to Suburbia needs to stop.

IMHO...